Sunday, November 05, 2006

Music I Liked And Didn't - 11/4/06 - 11/5/06


Adds -

More archival additions from my recent numerous Amoeba used vinyl scores:

GORDONS: Vol. 2 LP (Flying Nun) - Wow! I recently scored a copy of this NZ mega-rarity from ‘84. The Gordons were an early 80’s post-punk, noise-exploration trio who created heavy, evocative music that featured dense, shifting walls of distorted sheetmetal guitars. They had three releases (an EP and two LPs). The EP and the first LP have been reissued and are fairly easy to find, but, “Vol. 2” has never been reissued and is so rare that, even with all the hard-core collecters I know, I have never seen a copy nor heard the music it contains before now. I had heard that the material on, “Vol. 2”, was not as good/was a little more mainstream sounding than their earlier material. Personally, I found this description to be half true. I thought the material on the A-Side was fairly consistent with their earlier (and best) work. Some of the B-Side material does sound like the less developed, still unfinished work of a band that was breaking up and was just used to complete the LP. Or maybe it just reflects the changes in sound the band was going through, changes that may well have been the reason the band chose to split up (to soon morph into Bailterspace!). Whatever the case, some of the B-Side tracks do sound decidedly more song oriented, with more of a verse-chorus regularity and a few somewhat lamentable stereotypical 80’s sonic elements. Overall, I’m still thrilled to have this rarity and was pretty pleased with the sounds it contains, especially on the A-Side.


Did Not Add -

None


Running Count For The Year

Adds 138/65%

Did Not Add 73/35%

No comments: