Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Music I Liked And Didn't - 11/28/06



Adds -

NEWSOM, JOANNA: Ys 2XLP (Drag City) - I greeted this new release from Joanna Newsom with both anticipation and trepidation. Anticipation, because I knew that giving Newsom’s music the full orchestra treatment offered great potential for fabulous sonic results. Trepidation, because I feared it was equally possible that such radical intervention might somehow smother the charm of Newsom’s very unique and personal approach to folk and pop. In addition, this release arrived with so much advance positive hype (the main reason I decided to wait two weeks to get around to listening to it!) and came in an incredibly deluxe package (beautiful gatefold sleeve, with inserted booklet of lyrics) and I tend to be suspicious of such things, as I often think that both are designed to help generate more interest in a release than the music it contains really merits. Well, I’m pleased to report that my concerns were unfounded and this project’s promise was fulfilled. The marriage of Newsom’s otherworldly vocals (delivering her trademark lyrics that seem to draw equally from “traditional” folk themes and dada-esque images) and intricate harp work with the swell of strings and other well placed orchestral accents is quite successful. Newsom has achieved her goal to combine experimental elements and beautiful melodies with this gorgeous sounding record. Excellent!


Did Not Add -

None


Running Count For The Year

Adds 151/67%

Did Not Add 75/33%

No comments: