Monday, December 11, 2006

Music I Liked And Didn't - 12/11/06 - The “Bah Humbug!” Edition


I truly loathe the last 6 weeks of the year. Wasting a bunch of time and money on people and things that you, generally, don’t like/don’t want to do. And to top it off, having to do so while being inundated with hideous xmas music and all the pro-christian propaganda. Yeah, why don’t you ask all the old altar boys and indigenous peoples (what few you can find remaining!) and so on, about all the great, life effacing aspects of christianity!

All I can say is that I'm sure glad when we reach January 1st each year and I can get back to my normal routine!


Adds -

None - Bah Humbug!


Did Not Add -

MONO: Memorie Dal Futuro 10” Single (Vinyl Films) - Back in 2001 Mono made a promising debut as a dynamic post-rock/psychedelic band with their, “Under the Pipal Tree”, CD on Tzadik. Since then, their music has continued to get slower, quieter, and more “symphonic” and less “rock” with each release until they’ve reached the point today that they’re just plodding, boring, and not very rocking. And who gives a shit that this limited 10” single is on the actor Cameron Crowe’s new label?!? Is that supposed to mean something to me? What a sad career trajectory!

O.M.F.O. (Our Man From Odessa): We Are The Shepherds CD (Essay Recordings) - This CD, on the other hand, I really tried, but ultimately failed, to like. It was an interesting concept to fuse a variety of styles of “world music” (klezmer, rootical dub, and so on) with electronica. And some of the attempts worked pretty well, too, especially the dub style and middle eastern influenced tracks. Unfortunately, those, admittedly very cool tracks, were in the distinct minority, as the “kleztronica” really didn’t work for me and, in general, this material was way to dance oriented, at least for me. Sorry, Borat!


Running Count For The Year

Adds 157/67%

Did Not Add 79/33%

No comments: