Monday, May 29, 2006

Music I Liked And Didn't - 5/27/06 - 5/29/06

Adds

CHATHAM, RHYS: Die Donnergotter (The Thundergods) 2LP and An Angel Moves Too Fast to See LP (both Table Of The Elements) - Like so many artists from the NYC avant garde scene over the years (Tony Conrad, La Monte Young, and so on), Chatham’s work is better known for the influence it had on those who followed and has been “heard” mainly as filtered through the music of those who he influenced (Glenn Branca, Sonic Youth, and so on). Very little of Chatham’s own material has remained available in print. Thankfully, the fine folks at Table Of The Elements have been doing their part over the years to make us more aware of Chatham’s work through an ongoing series of reissues. “Die Donnergotter” reissues a compilation which included most of Chatham's most famous pieces, the highlights of which are the title track and, “Drastic Classicism”. "An Angel Moves Too Fast to See" is Chatham’s legendary composition that was scored for an orchestra (army?!?) of 100 electric guitars! Essential music that’s great to have available for a wider audience once again!

Note, if you already own the 2003 3CD Compilation on Table Of The Elements, with the similar title of, “An Angel Moves Too Fast to See: Selected Works 1971-1989”, then you already have all the material on these two releases and more, but, if you’ve missed out on Chatham’s works up until now (or you just want this material on cool vinyl - my only reason for buying these titles filled with material I already own, I’ll admit!), then get hip and pick these up today!

MV & EE WITH THE BUMMER ROAD: Mother of Thousands 2LP (Time Lag) - I’ve got to admit that I think that a) the whole MV/EE thing is way overhyped and b) they were better when acting as part of a greater whole in the Tower Recordings. So, I’ll admit that I was skeptical about this new double LP release from MV, EE, and The Bummer Road on Time Lag that has been getting lots of hype as being their best work to date. Reluctantly, I’ve got to admit that it is. There are several tracks of fairly pleasing acid folk, most notably, “Sunshine Girl“ and “Canned Heat Blues“. That being stated, however, about 50% of the material here is still only semi-competant basement ramble that, quite frankly, is no better than the hundreds of hours of tapes that I have of me and my friends jamming, so I could hardly call this release an unqualified winner. If you’re really into the whole acid folk, basement psych, drone raga scene, then you probably want this. If not, well...you’ve been warned. A keeper, but barely, for me.

Damn, it's been a good run for me; again, nothing in the "did not add" category! I must not be experimenting enough!

Running Count For The Year

Adds 70/58%

Did Not Add 51/42 %

No comments: