Saturday, May 20, 2006

Music I Liked And Didn't - 5/16/06 - 5/20/06

Adds

BLACK ANGELS: Passover 2LP (Light In The Attic) - This is a perfect example of why I feel fortunate to have enough money that I can experiment, instead of only being able to buy things that I have some reason to believe (previous history, label identity, etc.) I'll like.

I knew nothing about this band, but I was intrigued by the cool, textured, psychedelic black and white gatefold jacket, so I picked it up. Turned out to be some pretty cool contemporary psych-influenced rock, as informed by a musical tradition beginning with 60's underground heros such as the 13th Floor Elevators and the Velvet Underground (check out, "Call To Arms"), carrying right through to the 80's with say, Spacemen 3, and bringing it into the present artists such as the Brian Jonestown Massacre. Not life changing, but pretty damn enjoyable.

EDDIE MARCON: Shining On Graveposts CD (Preservation) - This new duo, composed of Japanese Underground veterans, delivers a dose of atmospheric acid folk. Almost too light, at times, for me, but still has some worthy moments.

Did Not Add

HOWLING RAIN: S/T CD (Birdman) - Ya know, I really like Comets On Fire and I also hate to dis locals. That all being stated, however, I couldn't dig this release of contemporary choogle with overwrought vocals.

Running Count For The Year

Adds 64/56%

Did Not Add 51/44 %

No comments: