Monday, September 24, 2007

Music I Liked And Didn't - 9/24/07



Adds -

LITTLE CLAW: Spit and Squalor Swallow The Snow LP (Ecstatic Peace) - Little Claw is a trio that recently relocated from Metro-Detroit to Portland, OR, whose musical efforts continue in the spirit, if not the actual sound, of the noisy, boundary-pushing experimentalists of each city, running from OGs such as Destroy All Monsters (Detroit) and Smegma (Portland) to modern artists like Jackie-O Motherfucker (Portland) and Wolf Eyes (Detroit). “Spit and Squalor Swallow The Snow” is their second full-length release. It contains nine tracks ranging from dark, driving, lo-fi, vaguely pop-leaning pieces like “Hobo Baby Zeus” and “Polar Bear” to damaged punk with strong blues undercurrents such as “Brackish Stratum” and the slinky “Lake Crescent Freeway” and, even, a couple of blasts of primitive noise rock, “Wayward Chief” and the excellent “Shoplifting Cart pt.II”, which closes out the set. While Little Claw certainly aren’t charting any new sonic territory on this album, charismatic vocalist Kilynn Lunsford and the energetic performances make “Spit and Squalor Swallow The Snow” an LP worthy of repeated spins.



Did Not Add -

None


Running Count For The Year

Adds 98/84%

Did Not Add 18/16%

2 comments:

degrees of freedom said...

to my chagrin people still use that picture from halloween. goth all grown up.

Sonictroubadour said...

On the assumption that you're Ms. Lunsford of Little Claw, I'll take it down, if you wish. I'm just looking for photos with some cool visual impact, when I select images to accompany my reviews, but if you feel there is something usury or purient in my reproducing this photo, then, by all means, please let me know and I'll remove it. I'm trying to promote the interests and expand the exposure of the artists I discuss on my blog, not irritate them.